Tiny, delicious and the sweetest of French endearments, petit pois are delicious in the springtime and perfect for enjoying over a lunch or dinner with loved ones. Try recreating it at home with this sweet pea and basil salad recipe:
- 280g small Italian peas
- 40g shallots
- 20g chives
- Basil leaves (julienne)
- 40g confit tomato (see recipe below)
For the confit tomato – this can be substituted for sun-dried tomatoes
- 10g tomatoes
- 10g sea salt
- 15g sugar
- 45g olive oil
- A sprig of thyme
- 4g finely chopped garlic
For the white balsamic dressing
- 200ml white balsamic
- 320ml olive oil
- 40g jalapeno jus (juice from jalapeno jar)
- 10g Maldon salt flake
- To make the confit tomato, blanch the tomatoes and skin them. Cut them into quarters and remove the insides, turning them into petals. Remove any moisture with a paper towel.
- Put the tomatoes into a bowl and add the salt, sugar, oil, thyme and garlic. Mix thoroughly and spread out on a baking tray and leave to dry in a warm oven (40 degrees Celsius).
- Leave in the oven for three hours, remove and leave to cool. Dice, then set aside.
- To make the dressing put all ingredients into a Tupperware container and shake thoroughly.
- Season the peas with salt and then add the shallots, chives, basil leaves and confit tomato cubes then mix thoroughly.
- Arrange on a plate and dress liberally with the white balsamic dressing
- Season to taste, then serve.
(Image from Rémi Gavrilovic under creative commons license.)